Monday, March 10, 2014

Week Five...and a little bit

Planning your endgame - aka: figuring out how to land this thing.

As my last day approaches (tomorrow morning, to be exact), it becomes critical to recognize which things are going to be wrapped up and which things will be left for others to complete. It's always a hard choice.
As my friend Todd would say, this is the edge of sketchiness...letting an auto mechanic near a 400v 3-phase electrical panel.
But somebody has to make this new air compressor run, so I guess that's going to be me.
Tome and Prosper welding the bay door hinge plates into place.
Half of one door in place; tomorrow we finish it...I hope!
Bob Denesiuk working on the mezzanine deck.
Making straight lumber out of twisted logs.
Connie Denesiuk has been busy as well, teaching Marta how to walk with her new prosthetic leg.
Gladys has been such a great help in this process. Yesterday Marta walked to church on her new leg, and today she took it to school. There was lots of celebrating as this young girl, who lost her leg to a snake bite, now has a new lease on life. A huge thank you to Stuart Watkinson at Action Orthotics for making this transformation possible. 
Revy and Vasco installing some storage room lighting.
Prosper Fernando, our new shop manager, organizing his tools and supplies.
Of course, there are many other things happening here at the ASAM mission base, like the Work for Food program.
Life is hard here, but there are some very proud mothers with beautiful children, and they do what they can to care for them.
 

Many things will continue on after I go, and that's thanks to committed people who have given their lives to be the change this world needs. My "To Do" list might not have everything checked off by the time I leave, but I do know that many new things will have been started.

And like good seeds in fertile soil, they will grow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rick - I don't think you were too close to the "Edge of Sketchiness"... I didn't see any sparks or flames coming out of that electrical box...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my brother, (literally), You've probably begun the long trek home by now, and as frustrating as it may be to leave things undone, how sweet to be a part of changing people's lives for the better. Your efforts will not be in vane! Well done thy good and faithful servant! (Love ya, too! Linda)

    ReplyDelete